Tandoori chicken recipe, Reataurnat style grilled tandoori chicken
Tandoori chicken recipe is one of the world famous starter that has roots form the Mughat era. This recipe can be used to grill drumstics or boneless filles to prepare kababs. I am sharing this recipe to grill in oven or on stove top(gas stove).
This mouth watering well known chicken recipe is well known as murgh tandoor or tandoori murgh. Murgh means chicken and tandoori is caly in which the spice and yogurt magnated chicken or chicken is grilled. We get to see the little differences to the authentic recipes such as combine of chickpea flour or besan etc, which combines aroma to the appetizer. This recipe is mostly done to the tangri or kangdi kabab meaning the legs.
Today i am sharing an easy to prepare restaurnat manner tandoori chicken in oven or stove top without using color or butter, making this is a low fat chicken beginner. I have not scorched the meat, I do not advice eating charred meat as it is dangerous to health.
This tandoori chicken recipe yields flavorful chicken drumsticks or kababs that are smooth and juicy with all the flavours of spices infused. These are spicy but not hot, even kids can like them.
You may also seen Chicken Recipes below
You can use store purchased/ instant tandoori masala will be present in most indian kitchens. So try it from the small cut, like i did.
Tandoori chicken recipe
- Ingredients (250 ml cup used)
- 1. Chicken drumsticks or 1/2 kg cubed boneless chicken breasts or fillets.
- 2. Butter or oil 2 tbsp.
- First magnation
- 1. Paprika / Kasmiri red chilli powder 1/2 tsp.
- 2 . Fresh lime juice 2 tbsp.
- 3. Haldi / turmeric powder 1/4 tsp.
- 4. Need for salt
- Second magnation
- 1. Dried mango powder / Amchur powder 1/2 tsp.
- 2. Garlic ginger paste 2 1/2 tsp.
- 3. Paprika / Kasmiri chilli powder 1 tsp.
- 4. Dried fenugreek leaves / Kasuri methi 2 tsp.
- 5. Thick fresh yogurt or curd or dahi 1/2 cup ( use low fat yogurt to prepare it low fat)
- 6. Oil 4 tbsp.
- 7. Coriander powder / daniya powder 2 tsp.
- 8. Pepper powder 1/2 tsp.
- 9. Garam masala powder 2 tsp.
- How to prepare the recipe
- 1. First clean drumsticks and fold off with disposable kitchen tissues (papers).
- 2. Cut twice or thrice randomly.
- 3. Immerse with ingredients specified under first marination. Rub the drumsticks with the marinate for 5 to 6 minutes to make them tender. Keep this aside for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 4. Mix all the ingredients specified under second marination, marinate the drumstics with this. Freeze for overnight or 7 hours.
- 5. Add little red chilli powder in 2 tsp oil. Place this aside. You can skitter if using food color.
- 6. For oven procedure : Preheat the oven at 250 c for at least 20 minutes. Grease a foiled cooking tray.
- 7. Pick up the drumsticks and let the extra marinade drip off to the container. Place them on the cooking tray and grease with the oil and back to the oven for 7 minutes.
- 8. Grill for 20 minutes, grease again with the oil and back to the oven for 7 minutes.
- 9. Flick the drumsticks and repeat the basting and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, count on your oven and chicken.
- 10. To give a real tandoori taste, heat a char coal and palce it on a plate, beside the plate place the roasted chicken and cover all these with a large and leave it for about 5 to 6 minutes. You get the taste of char coal grilled chicken.
- Adjust the rosting time based on your oven, chicken might get charred if you over bake it. So keep an eye all the time, the chicken might get baked anywhere in between 30 to 40 minutes depending on the size of drumsticks.
- Adust the portion of lemon juice, and you can skip amchur if you don't have.
- Take a good garam masala powder
- Remove the left over marinade.
- Nutrition Information
- Caloriess: 225 Protein: 20g
Step by step to prepare restaurant style tandoori chicken recipe in oven
1. Clean drumsticks or fillets thoroughly under running water. Drain off the water totally. If making on stove top, do select flat cuts of chicken like breasts or fillets. You can wipe them off with disposable kitchen material to remove extra moisture.
3. Mix ground turmeric, red chilli powder or paprika, salt and lemon juice and rub the drumsticks for about 5 to 6 minutes. It works great to soften the meat. Keep this aside for least 20 to 25 minutes.
4. At the same time you can prepare the other ingredients for second marination. We need dangling curd or greek yogurt. If you have normal yogurt at home. You can also prepare hung yogurt. For the marination, mix to a bowl – 1/2 cup thick yogurt, 4 tbsp. Oil and the ensuring ingredients.
6. Preheat the oven at 250 C for at least 20 minutes. If frilling on stove, heat a container with little oil.
7. Make basting oil, mix 2 tsp oil to a container and stir in sufficient red chilli powder or paprika or tandoori masala. Mix and keep aside. You can remove using red chilli powder if you are using food color or instant tandoori masala.
8. If preparing on stove top: it is best to use flat cuts of chicken like breasts or fillets if preparing on stove top. Since they get baked through will when cooked on the container. Mix little oil to the hot pan. Place the chicken on the pan after wiping off the waste marinade. On a high temperature fry them, flipping often until the marinade driens up. Reduce the flame and bake on both the sides until done.
For oven method: Make the cooking tray with foil and grease it.
9. Take up the drumstick and hold it for a while for it to trickle off the extra marination in the bowl. Place it on the tray. Part all the drumsticks.
10. Now with a basting brush handle the red chilli oil over the drumsticks and place the platter in the oven and cook.
11. Add the chilli oil with one tsp fo the left over preservative.
12. After 25 minutes take the tray out of the oven and baste it with the chilli oil and put it back to the oven and cook for another 10 mintues. This avoid the chicken from drying up.
13. Carry it out again and flip the drumstick to the other side and slightly baste with the oil again. Or you can sprinkle butter if you wish without using the chilli oil.
14. Cook it for about 20 minutes again. These timings effort well for me. but set an eye always to limit overcooking.